Home About Us Catalog Borrowing Services Resources Programs & Events Locations





History of Radcliffeborough and Nearby Neighborhoods

I. Radcliffeborough




Thomas Radcliffe acquired the tract of land now bounded by King, Vanderhorst, Smith and Radcliffe streets, and had it surveyed in 1786. After Radcliffe was lost at sea in 1806, development of the suburb was continued by his widow, Mrs. Lucretia Radcliffe, and other heirs.

The area now called Radcliffeboro also includes the Elliott Lands and the western portion of the Wragg Lands. (Rogers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys, 64. Stoney, This is Charleston, 128-129. Thomas, DYKYC, Dec. 9, 1968. Ravenel, Charleston, The Place and the People, 422.)


II. Cannonborough




Cannonborough received its name from Daniel Cannon, house carpenter and "mechanick," who between 1762 and 1800 acquired the large, low and marshy tract, generally north of Boundary Street (now Calhoun) and west of Coming's Creek. Cannon built lumber mills on the Ashley River side of his acquisitions. His Upper Mill was in the vicinity of Cannon Street.; his Lower Mill was in the vicinity of Boundary Street.

There were many pieces of marshland and small creeks which split up Cannon's holdings and which were later filled, but by early in the 19th century several good houses were erected, chiefly along Pinckney Street (now Rutledge Avenue), which was the highest ground in the area.

Later, the lower part of Cannon's holdings, in the vicinity of Calhoun Street, was acquired by Jonathan Lucas, who built rice mills as well as sawmills in the area. Cannonborough (also called Cannonsboro) included the area now bounded generally on the north by Spring Street, eastward as far as Coming Street, thence south along Coming Street to Morris Street, thence west to Smith Street, thence south to Calhoun Street, thence west to Rutledge Avenue, thence south to just below Bennett Street, thence west to the Ashley River.

After the city limits were extended above Boundary Street in 1849, Pinckney Street became Rutledge Avenue, although the Rutledge Street in Harleston Village continued to be called Rutledge Street for some time. (Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses, 331-332.
Stoney, This is Charleston, 128-129.)

III. Elliottborough




This area, bounded today by Line, Coming and Spring streets and a line just west of Rutledge Avenue, was partitioned among the Elliott family and surveyed into streets in the 1770s. (Stoney, This is Charleston, 129)


III. Elliott lands



The tract, bounded today by Radcliffe, Smith, Morris and King streets, was surveyed by Joseph Purcell in 1786, for the Elliott family. (Stoney, This is Charleston,
128-129)



IV. Islington



The village of Islington was developed c. 1800 at the west end of Cannon Street near the present Ashley River bridges. It was named for the town of Islington, England, and just as the English town was swallowed up by London, the local suburb was swallowed up by Charleston. The area retained the old name down to the time of the Civil War, and in 1853 there was an Islington Cricket Club. The name survives in Islington
Court (running south from Cannon between Ashley and President), often pronounced "Issie Lincoln" Court. (Ravenel, DYKYC, July 29, 1940.)