Home About Us Catalog Borrowing Services Resources Programs & Events Locations





History of Wraggborough and Nearby Neighborhoods

I. Wraggborough




Wraggborough was part of the extensive landholdings of Joseph Wragg, partitioned among his heirs in 1758. John Wragg, the eldest son, received as part of his portion the 79 acres surveyed and laid into streets and lots, by Joseph Purcell, surveyor, in 1801. Streets were named for Joseph Wragg's children: John, Judith, Mary, Ann, Charlotte, Elizabeth, Henrietta. Chapel Street was named for a chapel which was to have been built on a small square at the intersection of Elizabeth, Chapel and John streets. Wragg Mall and Wragg Square were given to the public by the Wragg heirs. (Rogers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys, 64. City Engineer's Plat Book, 25, 85.
Deeds, B3-233. Wills (WPA) 12:667. Edgar & Bailey, 726-729. Wragg Family File, SCHS.)




II. Wragg Lands



Joseph Wragg was granted by the Lords Proprietors, in 1715, a tract of 23 acres bounded by present-day King, Calhoun, Smith and Vanderhorst streets. In the division of his estate, the tract fell to his daughters Charlotte, wife of John Poaug, and Elizabeth, wife of Peter Manigault, except for the block of 6.25 acres between King and St. Philip streets, which had been sold previously to the Commissioners of Fortifications and afterwards vested in the City of Charleston. The Orphan House was built on that block in the 1790s.

A plat dated 1793 depicts the Wragg Lands divided into 69 lots, then vested in John Poaug the Younger and Joseph Manigault. The part of present-day Calhoun Street running below the subdivision was then called Manigault Street. (Deeds, I6-509, B3-247.
Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses, 331-332. Stoney, This is Charleston, 127, 129.)


III. Mazyckborough




Joseph Purcell, surveyor, laid out Mazyckborough for Alexander Mazyck in 1786. It is bounded by Chapel, Elizabeth and Calhoun streets and the Cooper River.

Before its development, the tract was known as Mazyck's Pasture, in the corner of which stood a large oak tree which became known as The Liberty Oak because it was "formally dedicated to Liberty" by a group of "Mechanicks" and other inhabitants of the town at a public meeting on Oct. 1, 1768. Beginning in 1766, Christopher Gadsden and the Mechanicks Party, who called themselves the "Sons of Liberty" met under the live oak tree many times to oppose the polices of Great Britain toward the colonies. When the British occupied Charles Town in 1780, they cut down the Liberty Tree to prevent its becoming a Patriot shrine. So that the destruction would be complete, they built a fire over the remaining stump. Later the root was dug up and made into cane-heads, one of which was given to President Thomas Jefferson. (Rogers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys, 65. Rosen, 77. Stoney, This is Charleston, 128-129. Leland, 21-22, 32. Walsh, Sons of Liberty, 31-32, 40, 46, 48, 50, 87, 98, 116. Johnson, Traditions, 35. McCrady, 2:589-591, 604, 652-653, 664-671, 679-680j.)